Sunday, April 3, 2011

Seattle

Every time I find myself back in Seattle I know it's the place I want to be next. It just feels simple, right. Walking around downtown today with a package in one hand and a Starbuck's iced tea in the other felt natural, exciting, and so incredibly different from where I'm at right now.
I want the city. I want fifteen Starbucks in a square mile, a Chipotle, a Jamba Juice. I want parks under the bridge, frisbee at Gasworks Park. I want to ride The Ducks.

But before that I have a hell of a lot of work to do.


Today I picked up my portfolio from Paperhaus. I don't know why, when I heard the name Paperhaus I imagined a spiffed up Office Max. True to it's name-hood the store was a slick, utilitarian, fashion-ized, Netherlandish office supply store for designers. I felt half at home, and half worried I was going to turn the corner and end up lost in Ikea.

The picking process was short. I knew what I wanted. Something simple; either black or wood. The smiling sales woman smuggly brought me a black bamboo cover, and I was sold immediately. Usually I know, right away, if I love something. Shopping isn't as much a chore as it is a giant game of speed dating. I knew, even while looking at a few other designs, that this was going to be my portfolio.
Nerd that I am I kept thinking back to Harry Potter. The wand chooses the wizard. This portfolio chose me. And I was stuck, suddenly, in it's expensive-handmade-chicago-post-grip.

11x17 landscape black bamboo with aluminum interior



I think I'm in love.


Watching: Friends
Reading: Doubled Flowering (Yasusada)
Listening: ET (Katy Perry)

No comments:

Post a Comment